Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Chief Justice Castille, Other Members of Civil Legal Justice Coalition to Speak on Plight of Low-Income Pennsylvanians without Legal Representation at Public Hearing of Pa Senate Judiciary Committee May 23
- Volunteers Needed for Drop In Legal Clinic at Philadelphia Trans-Health Conference
- Pro Bono Isn’t Just For Litigators! - The PBEye
- Chief Justice Castille to Participate in 'Spring into Pro Bono Action' CLE Program
- Mary R. Bates Honored with Louis J. Goffman Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Support and Service.
- “Civil Justice Gap” Stories From Low-Income Pennsylvanians Without Legal Representation to Highlight Public Hearing of PA Senate Judiciary Committee May 7
- Law Day Statement of LSC Board Chair John Levi - Realizing the Dream of Equal Access to Justice
Pro Bono Events
- Jun 04: Legal Issues Affecting Military Personnel: The Drawdown and Homecoming
- Jun 07: Philadelphia VIP Summer Pro Bono Day for Law Students
- Jun 27: Welcome Program For New Philadelphia VIP Volunteers
- May 14: Meeting Legal Needs of Homeless and At-Risk Veterans: VHA Programs for Justice-Involved Veterans (Webinar)
- May 15: The Ethics of Unbundled Legal Services: Limited-Scope Representation and Pro Bono (Webinar)
- Jun 19: Philadelphia Bar Association Night at the Phillies
- May 07: Civil Legal Representation of the Indigent: Have We Achieved Equal Access to Justice? (Pennsylvania Senate Judiciary Committee Public Hearing)