Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- PLAN, Inc. Seeks Applicants for 2017 Martin Luther King, Jr. Summer Internship Program
- Pennsylvania Bar Foundation Seeks Applicants for Law Student Scholarships
- National Pro Bono Week Officially Recognized in Pennsylvania
- Volunteers Needed for Election Protection Field Program - Election Day, Nov. 8
- Volunteers Needed to Defend Asian American Voting Rights and Monitor Voting
- Allegheny County Bar Foundation to Honor Six Individuals, One Law Firm with 2016 Pro Bono Achievement Awards
- Pennsylvania Bar Association and County Bar Associations Providing Information about Expungement and New Law Limiting Access to Criminal Records
Pro Bono Events
- Nov 04: Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program Training
- Oct 26: Ensuring Fair Housing for People with Criminal Records: A Conversation with HUD (Webinar)
- Oct 25: New Expungement Statute and Recent Amendment to Permit Sealing of Criminal Records (Delaware County)
- Oct 26: How to Become a Culturally Competent Attorney (Free Webcast)
- Oct 28: Free Child and Spousal Support Clinic (Philadelphia)
- Oct 27: Ethical Issues Related to the Provision of Pro Bono Services through Partnership Programs
- Nov 04: The Expanded Provisional Waiver Program - IAN E-Conference (Webinar)