Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- First Judicial District Seeking Nominations for 2015 Pro Bono Roll of Honor
- Chief Justices and State Court Administrators Pass Resolutions Supporting Access to Justice
- ABA Honors Contributions to Volunteer Legal Services with 2015 Pro Bono Publico Awards
- LSC Seeks Proposals for Veterans Pro Bono Program Grant Competition
- NLADA Extends Deadline for Accepting Workshop Proposals for Annual Conference - Deadline July 31
- Nominations Sought for 2015 ACBA Pro Bono Achievement Awards
- Supreme Court Increases Loan Assistance to Expand Number of Attorneys Who Serve the Poor
Pro Bono Events
- Dec 10: Public Interest Section Annual Awards Ceremony and Reception (Philadelphia)
- Dec 10: 2015 Public Interest Law Day (Philadelphia)
- Sep 11: Enforcing Wage Claims for Low-Income Workers (Free Webcast)
- Nov 07: Wills for Heroes Clinic - Pike County
- Oct 03: Wills for Heroes Clinic - Lackawanna County
- Nov 12 - Nov 15: 24th Annual Consumer Rights Litigation Conference and Consumer Class Action Symposium
- Sep 24: Pro Bono Mediation at the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission (Harrisburg)