Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Philadelphia VIP Hosts 2015 Awards Night
- Supreme Court Launches Pilot Pro Bono Program to Enhance the Availability of Legal Aid
- Local Bar Associations Receive Awards from the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Nominations for 2015 Harrison Tweed Award Now Being Accepted
- Dauphin County Bar Association Training for Certification to Accept Veterans’ Disability Appeals
- Legal Services Corporation Seeking Proposals for 2015 Pro Bono Innovations Grants
- Indiana County President Judge William J. Martin Receives PA Bar Association Judge's Award
Pro Bono Events
- Mar 25: Police, Law, Race and Criminal Justice Post-Ferguson
- Apr 15: Probating Estates and an Alternative to Probate in Philadelphia – Homeownership Issues
- Apr 09: Ethics of Blogging for Lawyers (Webinar)
- May 14: SeniorLAW Center 2015 GALA
- May 12: Pennsylvania Innocence Project Annual Celebration of Justice
- May 07 - May 09: 2015 Equal Justice Conference
- Mar 25: Pennsylvania Bar Association Committee/Section Day