Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Supreme Court Increases Loan Assistance to Expand Number of Attorneys Who Serve the Poor
- Robert Schwartz Honored with ABA's Mark Hardin Award Honoring Commitment to Child Welfare Legal Scholarship
- Kimberly Moraski Selected as 2015 Michael K Smith Excellence in Service Award Winner
- Incubator Program of Dauphin County Bar Association to be Recognized with Pennsylvania Bar Foundation Goffman Award
- Philadelphia Lawyer Bernstein-Baker to Receive Pennsylvania Bar Association Immigration Law Pro Bono Award
- NLADA Announces 2015 Beacon of Justice Award Winners
- Free Legal Advice to Mark Citywide Celebration of Law Week 2015 in Philadelphia
Pro Bono Events
- Aug 06: Raise A Glass To Justice - 4th Annual Fundraiser
- Jul 20: 23rd Annual ACBA Golf Tournament and 3rd Annual Bocce Tournament
- Jun 12: 2015 Summer Pro Bono Program for Law Students (Philadelphia)
- May 15: Divorce Practice in Philadelphia
- May 05: Consumer Advocacy Issues in Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (Webinar)
- Apr 24: Helping Domestic Violence Victims Obtain Protection Orders
- Jun 13: Wills for Heroes Clinic - Cumberland County