Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Deadline for Session Proposals for 2016 Equal Justice Conference Extended to October 21
- 2015 ACBA Pro Bono Achievement Awards
- ABA Announces Mini-Grants for Projects Expanding Pro Bono Attorneys Representation of Unaccompanied Minor Immigrants
- Session Proposals Sought for 2016 Equal Justice Conference
- Volunteers Sought for ADA Pro Bono Clinic
- First Judicial District Seeking Nominations for 2015 Pro Bono Roll of Honor
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project: 2015 Summer Newsletter - Volunteer Attorneys
Pro Bono Events
- Oct 27: Ethical Issues in Working with Pro Bono Clients (Free Webcast)
- Oct 21: In-House Counsel and Pro Bono -- Making the Match (Free Webcast)
- Nov 06: Immigration Advocates Network e-Conference: Representing Clients with Diminished Mental Capacity
- Nov 05: Immigration Advocates Network e-Conference: Advocating for Prosecutorial Discretion in Your Client's Case
- Nov 04: Immigration Advocates Network e-Conference: Understanding Entry, Admission, and Parole
- Nov 03: Immigration Advocates Network e-Conference: U Visas and VAWA: Best Practices in Helping Survivors Get Status
- Nov 02: Immigration Advocates Network e-Conference: Improving Your Appeal to the BIA