Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Volunteers Needed for Cyber Harassment Program: April 15 - Central Dauphin Middle School, Harrisburg
- Chief Justice Castille Asks Lawyers to Support Access to Justice for All
- Volunteers needed for KD & You and the Law on April 15, 2014
- NLADA Seeks Nominations for 2014 Beacon of Justice Award
- American Bar Association Grants Will Promote Innovations to Serve Unmet Legal Needs
- CLE Program on Civil Forfeiture Offered by PaCCHS
- 2014 State of Pro Bono - Pro Bono Institute Annual Conference
Pro Bono Events
- May 20: Effective Handling & Use of Exhibits at Trial: How to Look Cool & Be Persuasive Using Stuff at Trial
- May 09: Deed Transfers: Drafting Basics
- May 27: How to Find and Handle Your First Pro Bono Case 2014 (Free Webcast)
- Apr 24: Lehigh Valley Fair Housing Summit
- Apr 12: Wills for Heroes Clinic - Erie County
- Apr 09: Naturalization Webinar Training - AILA Citizenship Day 2014
- Apr 15: KD & You and the Law