Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- REMINDER: Goffman Award Nominations Deadline is April 15, 2014
- Local Bar Associations Receive Awards from the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pro Bono Institute Honors Brad Smith and the Department of Legal and Corporate Affairs at Microsoft for Outstanding Pro Bono Service
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project - 2014 Winter Newsletter - Volunteer Attorneys
- Super Lawyers Announce 2013 Pro Bono Award Recipients
- Sixth Annual Public Interest Week celebrates “The Power of Public Interest at Penn Law”
- Volunteers Needed for Pro Bono Citizenship Day - March 29, 2014
Pro Bono Events
- Apr 25: Helping Domestic Violence Victims Obtain Protection Orders
- Apr 10: Custody Conciliation Pro Bono Project CLE
- Apr 10: CARNIVALE!
- Mar 18: Law and Politics of Same Sex Marriage in the Global Arena
- Mar 19: Mental Health and Capacity in Immigration Court (Webinar)
- Mar 04: DACA Problem Cases (Webinar)
- Mar 04: DACA Problem Cases