Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Nominations Sought for 2017 PA Bar Association Pro Bono Awards
- Volunteers Needed for Lawyers Make a Difference Day in Allegheny County
- ACBF Accepting Applications for 2017 Law Student Summer Fellowship Program and the 2017 Gismondi Certified Law Student Summer Fellowship Program
- Justice Department Announces Pilot Program to Provide Military Communities Across the Country with Dedicated Legal Support
- PA Supreme Court Clarifies Rule Related to Lawyers Advising Clients Engaged in Medical Marijuana Industry
- PLAN, Inc. Seeks Applicants for 2017 Martin Luther King, Jr. Summer Internship Program
- Pennsylvania Bar Foundation Seeks Applicants for Law Student Scholarships
Pro Bono Events
- Dec 28: Answering the Call: Overcoming Substance Abuse in the Legal Profession (Online Webinar)
- Dec 21: Answering the Call: Overcoming Substance Abuse in the Legal Profession (Online Webinar)
- Dec 14: Answering the Call: Overcoming Substance Abuse in the Legal Profession (Online Webinar)
- Dec 07: Answering the Call: Overcoming Substance Abuse in the Legal Profession (Online Webinar)
- Dec 15: What Will Advocacy For Unaccompanied Immigrant Children Look Like Under A New Administration? (Online Webinar)
- Dec 15: The Road to U.S. Citizenship: Navigating the Naturalization Process (Pittsburgh)
- Nov 17: Problem-Solving Justice: Treatment Courts in Pennsylvania