Resources For Pro Bono Advocates
Pro Bono Advocates are an important part of the effort to provide legal assistance to low-income individuals and families.
The Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network programs work with their local bar associations to provide pro bono referral systems in many counties in Pennsylvania.
PLAN, Inc. also operates and maintains PAProbono.net, a website designed to support advocates in their efforts to provide legal aid to the poor.
PAProbono.net is an online legal community that provides information and resources for pro bono attorneys, legal aid attorneys, public defenders, and other legal advocates interested in increasing access to justice.
Civil Law Practice Area
The Pennsylvania Civil Law Practice Area of PAProbono.net contains information and resources relating to the non-criminal practice of law in Pennsylvania, including family law.
To access or contribute resources, you must be an approved member of the practice area.
You are eligible for membership in this area if you are:
- a public interest attorney;
- a law school student or faculty member; or
- a private attorney actively engaged in pro bono work or willing to become actively involved in pro bono by accept a pro bono case within the next six months.
The Civil Law Practice area contains many resources designed to help advocates in their representation of needy clients including:
- News - Items and alerts on issues of interest to advocates representing low-income individuals.
- Calendar - Listings of CLE Training Events and other events of interest. Events can be viewed by date, location or topic and members can add their own events to the calendar.
- Cases - Listing of cases where you can volunteer to help in representing individuals and families in need of legal assistance.
- Library - Resource materials to support you in your representation of clients in need of assistance. Resources include pleadings, briefs, legal reference materials, manuals and other training materials.
- Discussions - Groups you can join to participate in e-mail discussions about issues relating to the representation of clients needing assistance.
ProBono Advocate Resources
Pro Bono News
- Lackawanna Pro Bono to Honor Susan S. Belin, the Children’s Advocacy Center of Northeastern Pennsylvania and Attorneys Melinda C. Ghilardi and Sidney J. Prejean with the Attorney Robert W. Munley Distinguished Service Award
- Disability Advocates Honored with Annual Awards
- First Judicial District Seeks Submissions for 2016 Roll of Honor For Pro Bono Service
- ABA Announces Creation of Center for Innovation to Increase Access to Justice, Improve Legal Services Delivery
- Judith A. Algeo, Esq. Receives Jean Crowe Award from American Bar Association
- Lawrence J. Beaser to be Awarded the 2016 Honorable Louis H. Pollak Champion of the Public Interest Award
- Registration Open for 2016 NLADA Annual Conference
Pro Bono Events
- Oct 24: Pro Bono Opportunities Day (Philadelphia)
- Sep 30: Guardianship Training (Philadelphia VIP)
- Sep 27: New Volunteer Orientation (Philadelphia VIP)
- Oct 05: Updates on Important Issues in Landlord Tenant Arbitrations (Pittsburgh)
- Oct 07: Annual Pro Bono Roundup (Washington County)
- Oct 27: 8th Annual Fundraiser Gala for Lackawanna Pro Bono
- Oct 26: Pro Bono Reception (Bucks County)